Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Conflict block!

So, I've been studying the craft of writing the last few days, trying to make my own writing better. I entered a chapter into a writing contest and now that I'm getting some feedback on that chapter, I'm trying to think of ways to improve this particular story but I'm blocked! I need some better conflict, more action, to figure out what my character's motivation is. And it's tough! I thought this story would more or less write itself but now that I'm actually getting it down on 'paper' it's taking more effort than I anticipated because there's not much conflict.

What will keep my Hero and heroine apart? What is the conflict? What is their driving motivation? What are their goals and how will they go about achieving them?

I'm currently reading a couple of craft books that are helping some. One by Jack M. Bickham called The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them- is very helpful and has helped me see some other weaknesses my current WIP has and how to fix them. One is the lack of meaningful conflict. So I need to flesh out what really matters to these 'people' and make my story deeper. But gosh that's hard.

I suppose, though, that anything that comes easily isn't worth having. A book that is agonized over is one worth writing and reading.

The other book that I've found tremendously helpful is Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide for Writing Romance. Kate is brilliant! Now, if only I could send her my WIP and ask her to create some conflict for me....;)

Alright, I better get back to work. I think I'll have an inquisition with my characters and make them open up to me. Wish me luck!

And if you feel like reading my entry for the writing contest, go here: http://www.romanceisnotdead.com/Entries/628-A-New-Mom-For-Abbie/Chapter-One

0 comments: